If your website is hosted on a Dedicated Server, then you are definitely going to reap the rewards of a stable hosting server. However, just having a Dedicated Server at your disposal may not be enough, you would need to optimize it to get the most out of it. One of the major reasons that force people to migrate to a Dedicated Server is the security vulnerability that is associated with Shared Hosting or VPS Hosting.
Although Dedicated Servers are considered better equipped to deal with cyber threats, much depends on the user as most of the root access lies with the client. Here we list down the 5 most important security tips to protect your Dedicated Hosting Server from security breaches.
- Vigorous password policy: Although a Dedicated Server allows access only to the people you choose, hackers try to enter into your server by password breach. Thus it is important to change your password frequently. Also, a strong password is made up of a mix of alphabets, numerical and special characters. It is important to change the default password, which comes with the new server. Setting a password expiration policy in sync with the level of security required could prove to be a beneficial step in the long run.
- Regular data backups: Taking backups of the complete website and the database is an important aspect of enhancing your website security. You may take the help of plugins if your website uses a CMS application. Frequent backups can help you reinstate your website to the best previous working condition in times of crisis. It is advisable to create off-site back up in places which are secure and at a sufficient distance from the regular backup files. However, the place must be such that it can be easily retrieved when disaster strikes.
- Check for updates and patches: Many applications produce frequent security updates and patches that try to fix some of the vulnerabilities with the previous version. It is important to check for frequent updates rather than waiting for the prompt. Many applications allow you to update on an auto-pilot mode. However, as mentioned earlier, it would be in your best interest to make a backup before updating important core features.
- Consider having a managed server option: If you are not very confident of your technical abilities to deal with the server issues, it is best to go with a Managed Dedicated Hosting Server plan. With a managed plan, the responsibility of managing and configuring the server to optimize the security lies with the hosting provider. Although it may relatively appear to be pricey, it can provide the most bang for your buck. Additionally, it provides mental peace so you can concentrate on other aspects of your business, rather than worrying too much about your server.
- Establish and use a secure connection: Unlike the previous connection protocol, Secure Shell (SSH) protocol makes use of encryption to establish a protected connection. However, configuring the port number and setting it to a value between 1024 and 32,767 can help you keep away the hackers.
Dedicated Hosting Server provides better security than most traditional hosting options. However, it is best to do some market research before selecting your hosting provider. Select a Dedicated Hosting plan with SSD-based Storage for higher performance. Also, the above mentioned 5 security tips can help you iron-clad your server.